CIAT understands the need to lobby internationally; to support its members overseas and promote the Architectural Technology discipline. The Institute seeks to use the knowledge of local members to help CIAT achieve this goal.  If you want to help CIAT in your country please contact

The title 'Chartered Architectural Technologist' is a title protected within the Institute's Royal Charter, approval of which was Granted by The Privy Council. This means that only Chartered Members of CIAT can use it. This title is recognised within the EU Directive for the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications, 2005/36/EC, specifically in Annex 1. This however only confirms that the title is protected in the UK but does not imply automatic recognition. CIAT is seeking recognition of the profession across borders, as currently there are still a number of barriers to our members seeking to work in other EU states. The consolidated version of the EU Directive on Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications can be found here.

The latest consolidated version of Annex 1 where Chartered Architectural Technologist is listed can be found here (number 54). CIAT and Chartered Architectural Technologist are listed here as well, under Part 2 (about halfway down).

In Denmark, Konstruktørforeningen (KF) will accept Associate members of CIAT (ACIAT) with an Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Architectural Technology or Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT) as members (M.A.K) of the Institute within a period of four months from receipt of application.

In Canada, The Association of Architectural Technologists, Ontario (AATO) will recognise Chartered Architectural Technologists that are Canadian citizens on successful completion of a multiple choice examination on the subject of Ontarian building regulations.

Why is CIAT membership not recognised in certain countries?

Each country has its own structure and professional definitions. There is no requirement for countries to recognise a Chartered Architectural Technologist. In many countries the functions carried out by a Chartered Architectural Technologist are undertaken by an architect or engineer, who, in many countries will have protection of function. Governments and industries in other countries are not obliged to recognise professionals from overseas just because they are accepted in their host nations.