In the UK, the provision of architectural services is not regulated and there are a range of qualified, recognised professionals, including Chartered Architectural Technologists, who are able to practise without restriction. However, elsewhere in Europe and the world, the practice of architecture may be regulated, and restricted to specific professions, or those with particular qualifications.

The EU Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications was established to make it easier for EU/EEA countries to recognise each other's professional qualifications, and the Chartered Architectural Technologist was recognised within the Directive 2005/36/EC as a regulated profession. This recognition implies that a regulated professional is able to offer a range of services in their own country, but it does not mean that they will be deemed qualified to offer the same services in other EU/EEA nations, due to national legal or regulatory restrictions. 

After the Brexit transition period, Chartered Architectural Technologists are no longer regulated under this Directive, as the UK is now treated as a third country. A third country in this case may be defined as any country outside the EU/EEA (excluding Switzerland) and outside of the single market and customs union.

To establish whether you will be able to practise as a Chartered Architectural Technologist in the EU/EEA, or undertake the same activities, the first port of call would be to visit the EU's professional qualifications database. Some activities normally undertaken by the Chartered Architectural Technologist in the UK may be restricted to architects and/or engineers. This can be checked on the database and if regulation exists in a specified country, the relevant competent authority for that country should be contacted to ascertain the requirements to practise.

For members outside of the UK seeking to work in the UK, a Tier 2 visa would need to be obtained and more information can be found on the UK Government's website.

For members in the Republic of Ireland seeking to work in the UK, the Common Travel Area (CTA) protocol will remain in place, which allows free movement of British and Irish citizens between the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Travelling to Europe for work? Business travel: An explainer document

A short explainer document has been produced to help you understand the new rules that are in place for business travel to Europe for work. These rules apply to you if you are travelling for work in Europe regardless of whether you are attending a conference or providing services. View the full explainer document.