Industry placement CSCS card to help learners into construction
A new ‘industry placement card’ has been launched with the aim of helping learners into a career in construction.
The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has approved the introduction of an industry placement card for learners enrolled onto qualifications or training programmes that require industry work placements for a minimum of 30 days.
This card will become available from September 2021 and will display the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) logo. Cards with a CSCS logo provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the appropriate training and qualifications for the job they do on site.
The Industry placement card is designed to support those that are enrolled on T levels (England), Traineeships (England), Foundation and Progression Qualifications (Wales) as well as sandwich degrees. The card will be valid for three years and cannot be renewed. A separate card is available for apprentices.
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
- Be aged 16 or above;
- Be registered onto a qualification or training programme requiring a minimum of 30 days’ work placement and that will ultimately lead to becoming eligible for an Apprentice, Skilled Worker, Supervisor or Manager card, and;
- Have successfully passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Operative test or one of the equivalent tests offered by CSCS Partner Schemes.
Further information on what the requirements to apply for this card can be found here.
The following card schemes will make the industry placement card available initially:
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
- Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS)
- Engineering Services SKILLcard
- JIB Plumbing Mechanical Engineering Services (JIB PMES)
It is important to apply to the card scheme relevant to the construction pathway being undertaken by the learner. Identifying the correct card scheme ensures the learner starts off on the right pathway and enjoys smooth progression through the construction industry. For example, those enrolled on the T-level pathway: design, surveying and planning for construction would apply through CSCS.
Please visit the relevant card scheme website for more information on the requirements for the card and the application process.
More information on the industry placement card can be found here.