CIAT understands the need to lobby internationally; to support its members and affiliates overseas and promote the Architectural Technology discipline. The Institute seeks to use the knowledge of local members and affiliates to help CIAT achieve this goal.  If you want to help CIAT in your country please contact [email protected].

The title 'Chartered Architectural Technologist' is a title protected within the Institute's Royal Charter, approval of which was Granted by The Privy Council. This means that only Chartered Members of CIAT can use it.

In the UK, the provision of architectural services is not regulated and there are a range of qualified, recognised professionals, including Chartered Architectural Technologists, who are able to practise without restriction. However, elsewhere in Europe and the world, the practice of architecture may be regulated, and restricted to specific professions, or those with particular qualifications.

The EU Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications was established to make it easier for EU/EEA countries to recognise each others' professional qualifications, and the Chartered Architectural Technologist is currently recognised within the Directive 2005/36/EC as a regulated profession. This recognition implies that a regulated professional is able to offer a range of services in their own country, but it does not mean that they will be deemed qualified to offer the same services in other EU/EEA nations, due to national legal or regulatory restrictions.

After the Brexit transition period, the Chartered Architectural Technologist will no longer be regulated under this Directive, as the UK will be treated as a third country. A third country in this case may be defined as any country outside the EU/EEA (excluding Switzerland) and outside of the single market and the customs union.

To establish whether you will be able to practise as a Chartered Architectural Technologist in the EU/EEA, or undertake the same activities, the first port of call would be to visit the EU's professional qualifications database. Some activities normally undertaken by the Chartered Architectural Technologist in the UK may be restricted to architects and/or engineers. This can be checked on the database and if regulation exists in a specified country, the relevant competent authority for that country should be contacted to ascertain the requirements to practise.

For members and affiliates outside of the UK seeking to work in the UK, a Tier 2 visa would need to be obtained and more information can be found on the UK government's website.

For members and affiliates from the Republic of Ireland seeking to work in the UK, the Common Travel Area (CTA) protocol will remain in place, which allows free movement of British and Irish citizens between the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

In Denmark, Konstruktørforeningen (KF) will accept Associate members of CIAT (ACIAT) with an Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Architectural Technology or Chartered Architectural Technologists (MCIAT) as members (M.A.K) of the Institute within a period of four months from receipt of application.

In Canada, The Association of Architectural Technologists, Ontario (AATO) will recognise Chartered Architectural Technologists that are Canadian citizens on successful completion of a multiple choice examination on the subject of Ontarian building regulations.

Why is CIAT membership not recognised in certain countries?

Each country has its own structure and professional definitions. There is no requirement for countries to recognise a Chartered Architectural Technologist. In many countries the functions carried out by a Chartered Architectural Technologist are undertaken by an architect or engineer, who, in many countries will have protection of function. Governments and industries in other countries are not obliged to recognise professionals from overseas just because they are accepted in their host nations.